Monday, March 19, 2012

Blake and Marla in Disneyland 2012 pt 4


Tuesday, February 14thValentine’s Day

Disneyland

I think it is outstandingly romantic to spend a day at Disneyland on Valentine’s Day. I got up early and did my walk again. This time I chose to walk through Downtown Disney. I checked yesterday on my pedometer and I did nearly 18kms of walking through the day. I strolled around checking the stores as they open and just getting a sense of the place when it is not so busy. Today is Tuesday which means I can get into the park early today. So I was lined up to be let into the park as soon as the gates opened. There were only four people in front of me in my row. But soon the stampede will follow. I started by gathering some shots of the morning light on the buildings of main Street. Then I moved in to take some more pictures in Fantasyland. I then walked through the back way into Tomorrowland and had some breakfast. I had a burrito which was pretty good but way too much. On the other hand, I bought some Dasani water which was very good. Although it is about $3 per bottle in Disneyland and it really jacks up the price of food. I tried to get a Fast Pass for Marla but they wouldn't issue me one because Marla had not yet entered the park. Drats, that plan was foiled. So I thought I would go get Marla and we would pick up her pass too. But that didn't work so Marla didn't get to sleep in as I wanted to drag her into the park by 10am.

Marla and I returned to the Front gates of Disneyland and this time once we crossed under the berm we went right up to the Disneyland Railroad and caught the train to New Orleans Square. The train stops right at the Haunted Mansion so that was our first stop. After the ride was over we came out and listened to a New Orleans Jazz Band play on the street for a while then because Marla really needed some coffee we stopped for a snack by the Pirates Of the Caribbean entrance. We had some really good doughy things. Then we went down to jump onto the Pirates ride. I love that ride.

From there we went to go on Indiana Jones again but it was broken so we went on the Jungle Cruise Ride. It’s silly, and corny, and I really enjoy it. It is a little more politically correct than the first time we were on it and that is a good improvement. Then it was off to Indiana Jones again. As you can tell we definitely have our favourite rides. Once out of the ride we went shopping for a pair of sweaters for us. My blue one is just way too big and Marla is in need of a new sweater. So we bought one from a very nice but also rather scattered Disney employee. We had him send our purchases to the hotel which is another nice perk of staying at a Disney resort.

As usual we found ourselves hungry again so this time it was a stop at the Jolly Holly Bakery for a turkey sandwich. I had half the Turkey and Marla got the bread again. I really like this sharing. Then it was over the drawbridge to Fantasyland. It was time for some old classic favourite rides. Marla and I jumped on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. When we got off the ride attendant – a lovely lady named Paula, stopped us and explained how Marla had a Mobility Device and what she should do to get on the rides at little easier. We are to go to the exit and stand at the yellow line. An attendant will come and get us and they will slip us onto the ride a little easier. She insisted we try it out on Peter Pan's Flight. So we did, which Marla enjoys much better than Mr. Toad. The system worked very well and saved Marla a whole bunch of standing. We did another round about on King Arthur's Carousel and then decided to head to Tomorrowland. But on the way we passed Alice's Adventure in wonderland. I hadn't been on that ride in ages. It is really pretty and kind of fun.

We had not gone to Toontown yet so this would be our one chance. We headed past Small World and some very noisy drummers to the home of Mickey, Minnie and all the other Disney Characters. This has been a good test for us as Marla is now ensuring that she sits down and rests when she needs some rest and doesn't push herself too hard. I don't mind since I can stop and take some pictures or just soak up the atmosphere. We began by passing the line at Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin. It was a voyage through LA in a runaway taxi. Then we just checked out some of the funny little places in Toontown. That being done we left for Tomorrowland. As we passed the seagulls from Finding Nemo Marla decided we should ride on the submarines. Cool, we haven't done that in years. It is a strange little trip but mostly it is a chance to sit for a while. The ride exits right by the Monorail station and so we took it back to Downtown Disney and our hotel.

After our nap we returned to California Adventure. We had a little time to kill before World Of Colour so we went to see It's A Bug's Life. Then we went out the back way to do one last ride on the Tower of Terror. When we finally got back to Paradise Pier we tried the children's portion of chicken teriyaki again and got ready to go see the show. This time we had fast passes which allowed Marla and I to sit while waiting for the show. We met this really nice couple from the Lake Tahoe area and had a wonderful conversation with them and their daughter.

The World of Color is outstanding when you can see it all. It was really pretty with lots of coloured light and water splashing about. Between the water, lasers, film, and music it really does overload the senses. That being said when it was all done we were ready to call it a day and go home.

What did we miss in our travels? I think the biggest ride we missed was Space Mountain and right beside it was Captain Eo revisited. I didn't miss Winnie the Pooh or Splash Mountain. I would have liked to have seen Its a Small World but I am diabetic and the shock might have been too much.

Overall this was a great visit to Disneyland. I can wait to come back and see Cars Land, the new Hollywood section, visit our old friends the Haunted Mansion and Pirates. But now it was time to get ready for the second part of our trip, the cruise to Hawaii.


If you would like to see more pictures of our Valentine's Day at Disneyland check http://www.flickr.com/photos/56705607@N00/sets/72157629549265431/


No comments:

Post a Comment