Saturday, March 17, 2012

Blake and Marla go to Honolulu, Hawaii 2012 Day 6

Tuesday February 21, 2012

Honolulu Hawaii



I was up at the gym to watch us sail into Honolulu – aka Vancouver with palm trees. I let Marla sleep in a bunch while I went off on a city walk. I started at the ship and headed through the Aloha Tower mall. It is not so good of a mall but a few things that Marla would like. Then I walked along the water a bit to the Maritime Museum. It was really cool to be able to look over the wall into the water and see Tang's, Sargent Fish, and Angel Fish swimming right below. I passed the Clyde of Falls – really ugly ship – that I am sure must have a good story. I continued down the busy street past the Homeland Security offices to the UH medical center. Behind the university is the Kaka'ako Waterfront Park which is a really beautiful surfing, snorkeling and people's park away from the noise and city of Honolulu. This isn't really a place where visitors go, more of a local spot which is fine with me. There was an this amazing fellow out on the rocks doing a form of Tai Chi. It was interesting because he had scattered a bunch of food across the rocks at his feet. Dozens of birds showed up and became part of his exercise. I took to calling him "St. Francis of Honolulu."



I then walked down to the downtown district. Along the way I ran into a movie set which meant a big detour. Then I would go see the Palace, State Legislature and the King Kam statue. But first I came across an old Lutheran church and cemetery. It was interesting to poke around. Finally I made it
down by Chinatown and saw a sight for sore eyes – Longs Drugs. This was mostly because I was really hot and wanted to by some water. So I picked up a Dasani and headed back to the ship.



I got Marla up and after a quick brunch we headed up and out for Hilo Hattie’s flag ship store. But first of all I had to show Marla the fish in front of the Maritime Museum. It was very cool for us to look down over the side at all the little fishes. The water looked really inviting and I was looking forward to our snorkel time. But first it is off to do a little shopping in Honolulu. We got the shuttle to Hilo Hatties. It is really big and we found some treasures. I got a university of Hawaii t-shirt to add to my collection and Marla got a Hawaii Five-O shirt. She also won the lock prize and got a $7 pearl. We didn't like any of the settings so we will add it to our loose stone collection. Like the guy in Crazy For You says when he got one stamp for his stamp collection “Good, now I'll have two.”



Our next excursion was to Maui Divers factory. It is very cool to see how they make the jewelry. We saw a few things we liked but not ready just yet to invest. It is kind of tourist art but we are tourists so we should enjoy our art as well. I did pick up a protector ring for my wedding ring. It was a steel band that was only $10. It was just what I was looking for.



We came back to the ship for another nap. We nap a lot when we travel. While Marla did that I went for a more in depth walk into the Chinatown area to get some pictures. Most of the photos were disturbed by them setting up the floats for Mardis Gras that night. So I came back to the ship and promised to take Marla out a little later that evening.



As we left the shirt it started to rain a little but it didn't dampen our spirits any and within 15 minutes we were in a facsimile of New Orleans. We started off by buying a hurricane then listened to the music, danced in the street, bumbled along with the crowds and had a great time. Marla enjoyed herself and so did I.



When we got back to the ship we went for supper which was crawfish and pretty good. I still don't eat much which is kind of good. Although I am helpless when it comes to resisting a whole wheat bun with a lot of seeds on it and the service is slow.


To view pictures of our day in Honolulu go to http://www.flickr.com/photos/56705607@N00/sets/72157629185066536/

No comments:

Post a Comment