Sunday, March 18, 2012

Blake and Marla At Sea return to LA - Day 10

February 25, 2012


At Sea


Today is my Birthday! Well not really. Really my birthday is March 25th but we are celebrating it one month early. I started my day with a really challenging work out. Because the seas are rougher and the first week of the cruise has passed the eager beavers have been staying away from the gym. It is like all the new years resolutioners departing the fitness rooms after three weeks. So I had no wait for a treadmill and really pushed it. I am attempting to get my heart rate to maintain at 115. That is a good amount for me to lose weight.


I enjoy this doing a limited amount of things mostly because I have the opportunity to write more. So Marla is getting her reading done and I am getting my writing out of the way. It is way too cold to make use of the pools for more than a few minutes. This time we tried the pool in the fitness area. It was nice. We talked to a sweet Asian couple from England. One of the things that amazes me on this trip is how many experienced cruises there are here. We have 11 cruises under out belt and we are pretty much newbies. It is the same for marriages too. There are so many people here who have been married 50 years or more it is delightful.


Marla and I shared lunch with a couple who are serious experience cruisers. We have a similar pattern to them and that is to have breakfast in our room, lunch in a group of people and supper in the dining room alone. I like it that way. After supper we shopped a bit. There are some street entertainers from Russia in the Piazza. They were very good. I think if we were to go on a Baltic Cruise we would see a lot of this. I liked it mostly because I think it reminds me of growing up in Saskatoon. Then we went to a wine tasting seminar. It was $10 each but it was quite enjoyable. Frankly I still can't tell the difference between a good wine and a bad one, but it was still fine. We got ourselves another shooter glass each. Oh boy, just what we need.


Tonight was the Captain's Circle Cocktail Party. It is so large on this ship that they have to hold it twice. We got settled in and had a couple of drinks. Listened to a sales pitch. Got thanked by the Captain. And then they literally kicked us out.


Supper tonight was pretty good. All in all the food has been quite good. We have been enjoying our meals. I have been diligent to tell the wait staff, some of them like CID already know, that I have have had surgery and will not eat very much. They have all been wonderfully encouraging and supportive. Tonight it was prime rib and it was very good. I have gotten so that I like editing the meat down to just the rare parts. It just melts and it is delightful. I am maintaining my goal to eat about a ¾ to a cup of food at each meal. Sometimes it is a little over but my blood sugars have been really good and I have been feeling fine.


After supper we went to see a ventriloquist named Don Horn. I keep thinking of Dale Horn from old Sing-Out Saskatoon days. These two have nothing in common. He was a fun ventriloquist but way down on the list. Still he had a little dog puppet who was very special and cute. With the show over we came home and called it at day.


To see pictures of our relaxing day at see go to http://www.flickr.com/photos/56705607@N00/sets/72157629550325913/

No comments:

Post a Comment