Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Pre-op and Foodies

Well I am 34 days away from my surgery, I have a counter on my WLS Journey web page, so it is starting to feel real. It got another step closer today since I had my pre-op with my GP. She said I was okay for surgery - wahoo. Only two issues that were of concern: 1) my breathing is not so good (mostly because I am obese) and 2) last time I had surgery I had trouble starting to breath again after the surgery was over. This second part is of concern because the way it was put was that I had trouble starting to breath which means I actually stopped breathing. In my world not breathing is dead and I would rather that not happen.

I only got that information second hand so we will find out more at my appointment with the anesthesiologist in a couple of weeks. I was a little coked that my weight went up a little from 303 to 305. I think that is mostly because I am going through a whole bunch of 'last supper syndrome'. It is like every time I look at a meal I am thinking "oh, this is the last time I will be having this particular dish". Only trouble with that is that I have changed my eating so much that most of the meals don't really agree with me. Bummer, I used to like creamy things, now it is 'oh well, not needed'.

I have a really big mouth when it comes to telling people about my surgery. But now that we are getting closer I told two of my foodie friends. First was the head chef at the College's Culinary Arts program. If ever you see some of my Wednesday facebook pictures of lunch, he is responsible for the plates. So I told him that I was having my surgery and what it entailed and he is going to help me by guiding me through how to pick appropriate restaurant based meals. The second person owns our favourite Chinese food restaurant Halibut House (I know, dumb name) but great food. Sheri is going to make me a bariatric friendly Chinese food dish.

I was just so happy to get the support of my friends and colleagues who know nothing about WLS surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment