Thursday, September 18, 2014

Sept 17 Working with Dinosaurs

Up at 6:30 to get ready for a day at Walking With Dinosaurs.  It is a pretty nice day.  Today I am a carp - I didn't really want to do electrics so that I could revisit some of my skill sets.  Also, although I am a lot lighter I am still not up to climbing steel rope ladders up the the truss.  So I am keeping my feet on firm ground.  Tom was being head carp today but Anton was also there to check out things and make his face seen.  He is doing really good, up and walking about.

This is the European tour of Walking With Dinosaurs, so their truss and gear is not really made for our smaller arenas.  But they still have a pretty good show.  The crew is very international - I was working with an Irishman from County Cork (Michael) and a nice American from Arizona (Adam).  They were quite funny and very nice.  The oddest fellow of the crew was their head carp.  He was a Kiwi from New Zealand who spend a great deal of the day running around and shouting instructions in a boisterous voice that no one understood.

I spent most of the day working with Colin, Roger, Stephen, Helen, Richard (new guy with big earring), and Dave and Nicki from Cowichan.  We were a pretty good crew.  Our job was laying out the floor for the stage, building the three mountains, and setting out the ground row and plants around the dasher.  One of the most disconcerting things is to be standing and look up to see a full size T-Rex looking over your shoulder.  Here are a few pictures:





We were supposed to finish at 5pm, then it became 7pm, then 8 and we finally left at 9pm.  It was a very long day, but also a good one.  Everything was catered and I kind of wish I could eat like this everyday. There were great spreads of high protein servings. I ate my small plates of turkey, beef, beans with a little bit of avocado, sour cream and salsa. No bread carbs at all. then there is the exercise part - According to my fitbit I walked 23,800 steps or 10.94 miles, climbed 23 flights of stairs, and burned 4,400 Calories.

I got home and had a nice hot bath and relaxed for a while.  We shall see how I do tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment