Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Its been a long Month Part 2

The arrival of spring to Victoria was most welcome.  One of the springtime rituals is to attend the Walls Optional educational conference at the college.  It is a good time to learn a little more about teaching and how my department can help other instructors. 

I snuffled my way through it because it is also spring and my allergies are driving me a little nutsy.  Sniffle.
Also I was a little stiff because last weekend I ran in the Times-Colonist 10K.  Well I ran a little and walked a lot.  But it was enough to cut 20 minutes off of my last year's race time and I was pretty pleased with that.  I prepared for the race by taking Precious out with me and we walked the 10km course a few times before the actual race.  I very much enjoy walking and should really do more of it. 
Precious, I think, could leave it alone after the 8km stretch.  But she does come along sometimes pulling me and sometimes dragging me aside.  I think of it as resistance training. 






On the actual walk day I met with a bunch of other WLS'ers and we had our photo taken infront of the Thunderbird Park Longhouse.  Chris and I walked the race together and had a great time.  Just before the race we met Chris's brother.  He is a nice guy.
So off the TC10K started.  It took 10 minutes and 5 seconds for me to actually cross the start line.  But then we were off walking.  It was so crowded that the first 2.5 km we were able to do little more than walk.  Finally there were some gaps and we could run a little bit.  I passed Megan and gave her a tap hello on the bottom as we went by.  I had loaded up my iPhone with theme songs from television shows.  And I could run for a whole theme - which is about 90 seconds. The road turned onto Vancouver Street and there was a bit more room.  This time we were able to run a little more so by the time we reached the Ross Bay Cemetary there was lots of room.  But as I climbed the hill I started to feel a little tired in my legs and feet.  We caught up the Jean Hamilton - she was doing really good just a trucking a long at a great pace.
As we reached the eight km marker I was definately tired but knew that it wasn't far.  This is always the worst stretch for me as we go up the hill by Fisherman's Wharf.  This is Chris's stomping ground and he couldn't resist going after some bottles along the way.  Major OCD in my friend.

I crossed the finish line with a good time - really good for me 1:34:22.  So I have some room to improve for next year.  And yes, I will be there next year.

However, I was so stiff the next day.  I hurt all over, especially my legs. But it was a good hurt and I felt fine for doing my exercises.  I dropped our team picture off at Dr. Amson's office.  It is so cool how I have changed over the years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment