Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Walking, Walking, Waliking

At my first meeting with Dr. Amson, he gave me the marathon speech. The one that says his patients will lose their weight and be out running marathons and races. I really didn't believe him. First of all I never pictured myself capable of running mile after mile for no reason aside from completing and competing in a race. Of course I could see myself running away from something that fast but that is another story from a wicked past.
Second, I could not picture myself lumbering along again with my 340 pounds of weight crushing down on my knees. No Way!
So I found myself going for walks. I am part of a group of guys who go walking each Saturday morning and every Tuesday evening. It started off doing a short walk that eventually worked its way up to about five kilometers. It takes me about an hour and it is not really all that taxing. That is except to say for one hill at the Cedar Hill Rec center that is steep and seems to go on forever.
So Christopher and I are regulars on the trail. I couldn't have kept up with my exercises if it were not for my friend Christopher. If I feel like skipping a day I cannot because I know he is there waiting and I provide the same service to him.
My wife too is very supportive of my exercise and even joins me on my thursday nights workout. It is honestly humbling to know I have these people in my corner.
But back to the walks. After I first met Dr. Amson, I wanted to believe everything he said. But rather than run I chose to walk. My first walk was the Times Colonist 10K. It took me over two hours and fifteen minutes but I made it through. Part of the inspiration while I was on the walk was that there were many people who I knew from the weight loss community also walking. It is really a pick me up to see friendly faces along the way. And so many other faces too. People I don't know are cheering me along the way and lots of music and celebration going on. It is an excellent way to spend a morning.
Since my first meeting with Dr. Amson I have walked in three Times-Colonist 10k's, two Goodlife 8k's, three CIBC Runs for the Cure, not to mention over 100 Saturday and 100 Tuesday 5k walks. I have actually enjoyed my walks and with the prospects of being healthier and smaller, running in some of those runs. Maybe I could work up to a half-marathon. But Marathon runners are still crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment