Sunday, October 30, 2011

Food Focused

First the good news - it has been ten days since my surgery - I feel great and all is going well. Except for a little issue with some egg salad. I used to love egg salad but now apparently it doesn't like me. One spoonful in and my chest started to hurt, I felt like my throat was closing up, I got a headache, and basically felt like it was an instant dose of the flu. On the good side, I am down 10 pounds since I left the surgery.

But now the point of my writing, I have an interesting relationship with food. Prior to my surgery my mind was usually on what treat is next to eat. My day to day activities were focused on what did I just eat, what am I eating, and what can I eat next. Once I was on the waiting list I set about to changing my lifestyle so that food wasn't so important - it was essential fuel. But it also was an important of my daily schedule. Ya' gotta eat.

I thought that once I was done my surgery I was thinking that food would not have the same passionate value. It is true in one sense that is true because there is no way I could eat any of the junk that I had. But it is also false for now because I cannot eat very much and continually looking for a 'refueling' moment. And since I am now eating four or five times a day of good small meals, I look for more variety of healthy items. Also because I am still restricting my diet to soft food, I am getting really bored. A bored Blake means I could get in trouble.

Here I am thinking that food is going to be a solved issue but I realize it is not. It is just a challenge wrapped up with different package. I think it is like the other irrational weight loss surgery expectations that have happened. I am going to have to file it away with my hopes of having rock hard abs and having thick bushy hair. I am happy with reality and thankful for the process. And in the meantime, only another week of soft food.

No comments:

Post a Comment