Tuesday, October 18, 2011

My last meal before surgery


Okay, so this day has finally arrived. It was my last lunch with the body I was given. Wednesday will be my surgery but prior to that I have to stop eating solid food almost a whole day. My surgery will be first thing in the morning so my last meal was going to be lunch on Tuesday. There really only was one choice in my mind. Marla and I went to the Japanese Village.

We used to go to the Japanese Village back when we first started dating in 1974 when we lived in Calgary. In 1975 we first came to Victoria when the Village was new out here. We have had romantic suppers and quick lunches there through every transition of our lives together. This was one more transition.

This was also one of those places where I could pack the food away. When Marla and I first started going to the Japanese Village, we were the only ones who would have Sesame Sauce on our rice. Now it is common practice. And I was quite proud that I could knock back four bowls. The gluttony of my life was amazing. As a reminder to me, here is the recipe and nutritional analysis for Japanese Village Sesame Steak Sauce. http://caloriecount.about.com/japanese-village-steak-sauce-recipe-r76175.




But on the other end of the scale, I only had one bowl of rice, I didn't clean my plate, I ate (oh my god) almost like a normal person. It was a great meal; we were filled with good food and wonderful conversation. We didn't really make much of this being my last meal with my big tummy. Actually just looking at what was on the table we will be able to return here again. Maybe not for a while, but someday. There is good protein here, nice veggies, maybe a little rice and that wonderful sauce. I keep mentioning to people that it's not food it is only fuel. And I do feel that way, but in this case, some fuels are better than others. So this is a meal I will remember for all the right reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment