Monday, November 14, 2011

Learning Challenged

Tonight I am in Pain. My chest hurts - a bunch. And frankly I wanted this - really. When I first considered getting a gastric bypass I knew that there would be times that my body would react to some foods. I was hoping that it would be some reaction to sugar or chocolate, maybe booze or flour. But nothing happened. I tested my new tummy and tried different things, everything went down fine. I was beginning to worry the Dr. Amson just faked me out and put in seven holes in my stomach to heal up and just look like he did the surgery.

But I am beginning to catch on. My tummy is operating as it should do; and along the way it is teaching me some valuable information. I am not reacting to specific foods but the amount of foods that I take in. I remember one time when Pat from the Tuesday group brought in some really small plates, side plate size, and said this is about the size a meal should be. I laughed at this tiny thing but promised and tried it. The smaller plates helped a lot; especially at work where they serve us buffets.

I am so surprised at how little food I really do need to sustain myself. Prior to surgery I was on about 2,500 calories a day, now I am in the 400 to 500 range. My old side plate has been reduced to a saucer and that is just a place to hold food. I can only eat about two or three ounces of anything. Dr. Amson said he made my stomach about the size of my index finger so I use that as a guide and say "this is all I will eat for now."

Now if I could only remember at commitment. Tonight I picked up a roasted chicken at Costco and decided I would try a little leg. It was really good even if I did cut it up into little bits and fed the skin to the dog. But I was still a tad hungry so I tried the second leg. Precious the pup got a big chunk of chicken but I got the rest. And it was way too much. So I am back to having this pain in my chest. I know it will go away - in a couple of hours - but in the meantime it is just a world of self inflicted discomfort. But it is all a learning curve and sometimes I think I am a slow learner.

No comments:

Post a Comment