Sunday, November 6, 2011

I know this pain.

Ouch, why does this always happen at 2:30am? Ouch, the pain in my side is getting my attention. Ow, what is happening? My plumbing has stopped. My pipes aren't working. My god this hurts. Honey, I hate to wake you up but we have to go to the hospital now!

I guess if I have to go to the hospital 2:30am is about the best time of day. No traffic was we drive out on the highway to Victoria General. Easy to park but I resent paying for parking in the middle of the night when there are only two other cars in the lot. But I could walk right up to the counter and get some help.

I can usually tell how serious my injuries are by how much I will use humour in my interview with the admin people, nurses and doctors in emergency. The more scared I am the more I will joke. It is a bizarre quirk. This morning I am full of one-liners when I am not bent over in pain. A couple of weeks ago when I had my RNY surgery there was no humour at all. It was all business and I had tons of confidence.

So now it was checking in and waiting. This was my fifth kidney stone feeling experience and as soon as I explained my symptoms to the doctor he said those magic words - "Well get you some morphine as soon as possible." After my RNY they gave me dilauted which is really cool if you want to sleep. Morphine makes me just not care about the pain in my side. Which was exactly what I needed. After three and a half hours of x-rays, blood tests, and waiting they sent me home with a handful of pills, a prescription and the news that this is either a kidney infection or kidney stones. The tests will tell and they will take some time.

So I went home, Marla drove because the nurse said I "looked really really stoned." I think she was right.

So now I am on the bench again. No excessive exercise until I see Dr. Amson on Wednesday. I am going to do some easy walks but it looks like I have to stay out of the gym for a while longer. Resting more is a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment