Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Celebrations in one way or the other

The last couple of days have been interesting to say the least. I got a clean bill of health from my endocrinologist who tells me that I am doing fine, reducing my metformin by two thirds and only taking 10% of the insulin that I did before surgery is doing me some good. We reviewed my diet and blood surgars - from my eating habits he said I have a "cast-iron stomach" and approved me to keep on with my same plan.
Sometimes encouragement is not really a good thing. I felt good enough that I wanted a burger from White Spot. For anyone not from BC and not familiar with White Spot - it is a wonderful burger restaurant that has classed up over the years but still serves some of the best hamburgers. They are great at splitting our burgers so we only share one order. I had this urge to celebrate my doctor's blessing with some cooked beef. Aside from a tiny chunk of stewed meat I have avoided the bovine delights for the past six weeks.
Now I am totally on my good bariatric behaviour. I am not eating the buns! Frankly lettuce scares the hell out of me so I am not going for the lettuce or even the tomato. And the coleslaw is simply stiff lettuce, so I am staying away from that. But then there were the fries. No, avoid the fries and try the beef.
I cut it into small, small chunks. Oh, my G-d this is good. I take my time. Eat slow. Eat small and all is well. I finish but our waitress has disappeared. Oh yes, she said she was taking her break. Well whoever is looking after her table is obviously on a break too. The fries are calling to me. I move the plate away so they are not under my nose - tempting me with that crisp crust holding a soft sensuous potato. What the hell, I have "cast-iron stomach" so I idly tried one fry - no big deal. Then another - and I realized this is pushing it so I stopped. I put my plate on another table so it wouldn't tempt me and I wouldn't be sniffing it.
Marla and I were then going to go out for a walk along a real pretty trail in Saanich, the dog was anxious to go but by the time I got from the door of the restaurant to the tailgate of the truck I felt like my heart was going to explode.
I am getting familiar with this feeling. It is telling me - "hey I am full and you put something in me that isn't what I want." After three hours of a squeeze in the chest, a symphony of burping, and just plain uncomfortableness - I barfed. It is amazing how something so disgusting can make you feel so good. But I felt a whole bunch better.
The next day it was time to visit my GP - She had to give me the once over post surgery style. It has been four weeks today since my surgery and in review I am feeling great. I am happy. I feel a little smaller. So she checked my blood pressure and it was excellent. She got me up on the dreaded scale and I am down to 279 pounds. I haven't been under 280 in many many years. So all in all I am feeling great.
Marla got me an interesting present - when we were out at costco she found a Canucks hockey hoodie - I am a freak for hoodies. So she insisted on getting me a large size sweater. But wait - I have been wearing XXL and XXXL for years. So she had me put it on - and it fit. It was a tight fit but by the time we go see a game in January it should be fine. I like that she has faith in me even though she gave me a really bad time for trying out the fries.

No comments:

Post a Comment