Saturday, July 28, 2012

all in all a pretty good week - Victoria Busker Festival

So this was a pretty long week.  A very nondescript week at work - just a plugging a way.  Still it was nice to see some projects that I have been working on come to fruition. I started off the week in a bit of a down mood since a couple of pounds that I lost have found me again.  So I have mostly been behaving in my eating.  On monday I did something really special.  That is the day I usually take the bus to work - in the afternoon it was so nice I decided than rather doing a 45 minute bus ride home I would walk.  It is only about five km so it took me just over an hour and I really really liked it.

Marla and I went downtown on Monday night to take in the Victoria International Busker's festival.  We saw Sharon Mahoney at the Re/Max Ship's Point stage.  She is an ultra Canadian show that was more annoying than apologetic.  We took a walk up Government street and watched a marimba band and a couple of other little acts on the street.  Our last act of the night was Victor Rubilar.  He did a very good and very funny act on the lawn of the Empress.

Best of all was that we had lunch from the rood trucks.  There was a Mexican Truck, Pig the BBQ place was there, a spot called Bonnie's Grill (Marla really liked their fries) and a hot dog truck.  There was also a Greek Food Place left over from folkfest.  I found that the people in the trucks were very good at helping me find bariatric alternatives.  In some cases, like the perogy place  - I just had the children's meal.  But over all it worked out good.

The next night we were back again.  Marla wanted more of her fries but we found that a small fries order was more than enough for her.  I opted to bring a tomato and stuff from home.  All was well.


On Tuesday we returned and watched The Checkerboard Guy who was a total hoot.  He is a very funny BC guy who reminds me of a vaudeville act. Following him was Les Vitamines.  They are a pair of very athletic gymnasts and clowns from Quebec City.  I really liked their show.  The things they could do with a balance ball was amazing. 

We watched Jessica Arpin whose show was only so-so.  It had a few good moments but mostly it was kind of dull.  It picked up a whole lot when we watched the next act Les Walkyries.  They are a three girl gymnast and fire act.  Waay too much story and not enough tricks but pacing is depends on the energy from the crowd.  We found our limit for the shows is only about two hours so we packed it in.

Thursday night was exercise night so we didn't make it downtown but we were back on Friday.  Apart from getting a super parking spot we missed the six pm show so we took some time to go through the night market.  Not much new at the market.  So we got some food and went over to the Harbour Air stage to wait for the next show.  It was the Rock and Roll Magic Brian.  He had a good idea and a good accent but his magic show belonged at a children's birthday party.  We were freezing so we left the harbour and walked  up to Bastion Square.  There we saw the end of Miss Australia.  By far this was the worst show of the festival - it was just weird.  Finally we went to Government Street and found a piece of the curb to watch Fraser Hooper.  He was more of the silent clown only using whistles and chirps but he did very well especially with children.  His best part was that one of his 'helpers' was a little 3'6" Darth Vader.

All in all - a pretty good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment